There are two main points of entry into the school (other places are chance vacancies):
- Into the kindergarten at the beginning of the autumn or spring term in which the child becomes 3 years old. Entry into the pre-reception in the autumn term is reserved for children who had their third birthday in the preceding summer (May-August).
- Into reception in the autumn term of the academic year in which the child becomes 5 years old.
Offers of a place are made on the basis of:
- Sibling priority (a sibling who is a present or past pupil in the pre-prep)
- An informal assessment (this entails a visit where the children are invited to join a play session in which we observe their social interaction, language, numeracy, physical development and concentration skills, appropriate for their age; children should be fully toilet trained before they commence)
- Date of registration
- Our perception of the family’s long-term commitment to Herne Hill School
The registration deadlines and approximate assessment periods are as follows:
|Entry point||Registration deadline||Assessment|
|Kindergarten – autumn term
Kindergarten – spring term
|Pre-reception (for summer birthdays and chance vacancies only)||31 December||January/February|
|Reception||31 October||November – January|
If these deadlines are missed, late registrations can still be accepted and individual assessment visits organised as long as chance vacancies are still available. Year 1 and year 2 chance vacancies are also offered following an individual assessment.
Progression through the school is usually automatic, unless it is felt that the child would not be able to cope with the curriculum or that this would not be in the best interests of the child or the other children. In such cases, there would have been consultations with the Headteacher well in advance and the parents would have been given advice regarding their child’s needs.
In its admissions, as in all other policies, procedures and practices, the school operates an equal opportunities policy and will not discriminate against a child (current or prospective) on grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or disability. With regard to disabled pupils, the School is committed to making reasonable adjustments so that disabled pupils would not be placed at a substantial disadvantage compared to non-disabled pupils.
You can download a registration form or contact the school office to be sent one. Please send the completed form to the Admissions Manager together with a cheque of £55 issued to Herne Hill School. You can also make a bank transfer to sort code 40-07-13, account number 31534076, with your child’s name as a reference.